A look at the top headlines of the day:
- India’s Covid-19 toll could be nearly 10 times the official number, WHO says: The Union Department of Health objected to the methodology used by the global health agency to estimate excess deaths.
- The Delimitation Board of Jammu and Kashmir allocates Kashmir 47 assembly seats, Jammu 43: The Commission has increased the number of seats from 83 to 90. Once the proposal is approved, elections will be held in the region.
- Jignesh Mevani, nine others sentenced to three months in prison for 2017 “Azadi march”.: The Gujarat MLA had organized the rally to protest the inaction in a case where four Dalits were stripped and beaten by an upper caste mob.
- Life Insurance Corporation IPO fully subscribed on Day 2 of the bidding process: Investors made bids for more than 16.68 lakh shares against the 16.20 lakh offered for subscription.
- CAA will be implemented after the end of the Covid-19 pandemic, says Amit Shah: Citizenship Change Bill is defunct, West Bengal Chief Minister claims.
- Heatwave could scorch north-west India from May 7th, IMD says: Rajasthan could also experience hot weather May 7-9, the agency forecast.
- Prashant Kishor says he will not form a new party now to undertake a 3,000km march in Bihar: On Monday, the political strategist indicated that he might get involved in electoral politics.
- The Sedition Act should not be repealed, but policies are needed to prevent its abuse, the center tells SC: The court will decide on May 10 whether to refer the case to a larger chamber.
- Telangana Supreme Court refuses to authorize a Rahul Gandhi event at Osmania University: The court ruled that there was “a lack of material to show that the meeting was intended for some academic activities”.
- The center is cutting wheat allocations to states under the food security program if production falls: Quota cut under Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana is compensated by providing rice.
“Beer maven. Creator. Tv fanatic. Internet scholar. Award-winning web junkie. Avid alcohol expert. Friendly writer. Gamer.”