A look at the top headlines of the day:
- The Supreme Court upholds ED’s power to arrest and seize property under the Money Laundering Act PMLA: Congress said the ruling will have “far-reaching implications” for our democracy.
- Aviation regulators instruct SpiceJet to operate 50% of its flights after stumbles for eight weeks: The director-general of civil aviation said he would place the low-cost airline under “enhanced surveillance” during this period.
- Protests erupt in Dakshina Kannada district of Karnataka over the assassination of BJP leader: Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha workers pushed BJP state President Nalin Kumar Kateel’s vehicle around, refused to let him out and verbally abused him.
- Mohammed Zubair demands return of confiscated devices, High Court gives Delhi police four weeks to reply: Because the tweet for which the journalist was arrested was posted from his cellphone, there was no need to take other devices, attorney Vrinda Grover said.
- Union Cabinet approves Rs.1.64 billion package for BSNL revitalization: The center also decided to merge BSNL with Bharat Broadband Nigam Limited to expand its fiber network.
- Aam Aadmi Party MP Sanjay Singh has been suspended from Rajya Sabha for the remainder of the week for “unruly behaviour”: He is the 24th opposition MP to be suspended during the current monsoon session.
- Sonia Gandhi appears before ED again in National Herald case amid congressional protests: Several leaders were arrested by Delhi police from the city’s Vijay Chowk as the party leader was questioned by the central authority for the third time.
- CBI Arrests Lalu Prasad Yadav’s Aides in Alleged Land for Jobs Scam: The accused, Bhola Yadav, was the special service officer of the chief of Rashtriya Janata Dal during his tenure as Minister of Railways.
- Center asked Twitter to block 2,851 URLs in 2021, up from 1,100 this year, IT minister tells Lok Sabha: Orders from the IT Ministry to ban posts and accounts on the social media platform have steadily increased since the Modi government took power in 2014.
- The Bishop of the Church of South India appears before ED in an alleged corruption case: On Tuesday, immigration officers at Thiruvananthapuram Airport stopped Bishop A. Dharmaraj Rasalam from traveling to the UK.
“Beer maven. Creator. Tv fanatic. Internet scholar. Award-winning web junkie. Avid alcohol expert. Friendly writer. Gamer.”