A look at the top headlines of the day:
- SC calls in Delhi Police as they say no hate speech was made at Hindu event Yuva Vahini in December: Videos from the religious conclave showed journalist Suresh Chavhanke taking an oath to participants to “die and kill for” in order to make India a Hindu nation.
- Umar Khalid’s speech is “obnoxious and unacceptable,” says Delhi HC upon hearing his bail request: The activist was charged with conspiracy to incite riots in Delhi in February 2020 based on a speech he delivered in Amravati.
- Passenger flags ‘blatantly propaganda’ newspaper distributed on train, IRCTC opens investigation: The “Aryavarth Express” carrying Hindutva propaganda was found aboard the Bangalore-Chennai Shatabdi Express.
- Delhi reports 1,042 new coronavirus cases – highest since February 10: The government asked schools to survey students daily about Covid-19 symptoms. Meanwhile, at the IIT-Madras, 30 people tested positive for Covid within two days.
- India and Great Britain seal free trade agreement by the end of the year: Boris Johnson said Britain is working on creating an India-specific open general export license to speed up delivery times for defense equipment.
- Gujarat Congress leader Hardik Patel hailed BJP leadership as “great decision-making”: He also described himself as a “proud Hindu”.
- BJP members extort money from citizens by threatening to bulldoze houses, AAP claims: The allegations came two days after the North Delhi Municipal Corporation demolished Muslim-owned shops and properties in the Jahangirpuri district.
- Lalu Prasad Yadav Receives Bail in Doranda Treasury Department Case: The former Bihar premier will be released after posting Rs 1 lakh as security and Rs 10 lakh as a fine, his lawyer said.
- Supreme Court dismisses request for release of Maharashtra Minister Nawab Malik in money laundering case: He is under investigation in a matter involving fugitive gangster Dawood Ibrahim and his associates.
- Mass grave site found near city of Mariupol in Ukraine, satellite company claims: The city has been the scene of the conflict between Ukraine and Russia for several weeks.
“Beer maven. Creator. Tv fanatic. Internet scholar. Award-winning web junkie. Avid alcohol expert. Friendly writer. Gamer.”