Pele leaves hospital after colon cancer treatment | football news

SAO PAULO: Brazilian soccer star Pele was discharged Thursday from the hospital where he was admitted four days earlier to be treated for colon cancer, the facility said.
The 81-year-old is “in good and stable clinical condition,” said the Albert Einstein Hospital in Sao Paulo in a statement.
Considered by many to be the greatest footballer of all time, Pele is the only player in history to have won three World Cups (1958, 1962 and 1970).
Known as “O Rei” or “The King” in Brazil, his family says he will continue to visit the hospital at least once a month for check-ups and to continue chemotherapy for a colon tumor discovered last September.
In February, an ailing Pele spent two weeks in the hospital undergoing cancer treatment complicated by a urinary tract infection.
Prior to his cancer diagnosis, which saw Pele hospitalized for a month last year, the former Santos and Brazil international star had been hospitalized in 2019 for a kidney stone removal and in 2014 for a urinary tract infection.
His only remaining kidney had to undergo dialysis at the time – the other was removed in the 1970s due to an injury.
Pele, born Edson Arantes do Nascimento, is also limited in his mobility due to hip problems that have forced him to use a wheelchair.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.