A look at the current headlines:
- India makes a 7-day quarantine mandatory for all international passengers: The new rules apply from January 11th.
- SC allows NEET admissions for this year under existing reservation criteria: A final decision on the validity of the criteria for determining the quota for the economically weaker section will be made in March.
- According to the Centre, India’s economy is expected to grow by 9.2% in 2021-22: The growth is expected to be mainly due to an improvement in the performance of agriculture and manufacturing.
- Faced with allegations of security vulnerabilities, SC orders the High Court to retain PM’s travel records: The center issued a complaint to Bathinda SSP over the cause, reports said.
- Karnataka records 67.9% increase in Covid cases since Thursday, Delhi records 17,335 infections: Out of 8,449 cases in Karnataka, Bengaluru alone accounted for over 6,800 infections.
- Center asks Delhi and neighboring districts to expand health facilities: AIIMS Delhi has put routine admissions and non-essential surgeries on hold to cope with rising Covid cases.
- NSCN (IM) accuses Arunachal government of harming Naga interests, warns of “unpleasant incidents”: The armed group claimed that Prime Minister Pema Khandu and Deputy Prime Minister Chowna Mein failed “to fulfill the wishes of the Naga people”.
- Calcutta HC allows Gangasagar Mela, forms committee to oversee compliance with Covid protocols: The judges urged authorities to alert the public to the risks involved as the third wave of Covid-19 sweeps across India.
- Varavara Rao’s medical bail has been extended until February 5: Citing the coronavirus situation, the Bombay High Court rejected the National Investigation Agency’s request to extend the handover date by just one week.
- Omicron infections less severe than Delta but not mild, WHO says: The World Health Organization chief said a “tsunami of cases” was overwhelming health systems around the world.
“Beer maven. Creator. Tv fanatic. Internet scholar. Award-winning web junkie. Avid alcohol expert. Friendly writer. Gamer.”